Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Nick asked...

My 1 year old daughter has milk and gluten intolerance...

My 1 year old daughter has milk and gluten intolerance and we are just wanting to know if there is a test that can be done to find out exactly what she is intolerant to? Is there any doctor or specialist we could see to give us some expert advise or guidance. We live in Aberdeenshire but would be willing to travel further a field.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for your question.

Lactose intolerance is not classified as an allergy, but an inability to digest lactose.

Common symptoms of lactose intolerance include:

  • diarrhoea
  • vomiting
  • stomach rumbling and pains
  • Bloating & wind

There are tests to diagnose Lactose and Gluten intolerance, but usually the most reliable is to exclude these from the diet to see if things improve, and slowly re-introduce them to the diet and monitor if symptoms return. It would be suggested that any major changes in diet should be supervised and monitored to ensure it is done correctly. A Dietician would usually be the most appropriate medical professional to be referred to. The Dietician will provide guidance and support with this issue and monitor progress. Your GP can make the referral to the Dietetic Department, and usually refer to a Paediatric Dietician in the case of your daughter.

Following monitoring and evaluation of process, it may be decided that a referral to a Paediatric Specialist Doctor may be required.

We have included some links below of sites which may be of assistance to you for further reading.

Food intolerance - NHS

Lactose intolerance - NHS

Dairy intolerance - Allergy UK

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses