Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Allison asked...

How can I receive Bariatric surgery?

Tags: Obesity

Please can you advise the process for me to speak with a consultant regarding Bariatric surgery - gastric band.

Having read the information on the website I qualify for being considered and I would like to talk to someone about the possibility of being able to receive this surgery privately.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

In the first instance your GP is the best person to discuss the possibility of  having bariatric surgery privately with. Your GP would be in a position to make a referral on your behalf and can also discuss the eligibility in more detail,

Once a referral has been made to a consultant you will be able to attend an initial consultation to discuss in further detail the surgery and your eligibility. If you are considering self -paying for this surgery again it is useful to discuss with your GP who can make referrals on your behalf and you would then be able to make an initial appointment with the consultants secretary for an initial consultation.

Unfortunately any consultation with a specialist usually requires a referral, some consultants will accept self-referral for self-paying patients in the first instance however.

I hope this information will be of use and wish you the best of luck in finding a specialist.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Bariatric surgery


The obesity epidemic

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter