Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Millie asked...

I have a lump on the top of my head shall I worry about it? I am only 12.

I have a lump on the top of my head shall I worry about it? I am only 12.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The answer

Thank you for writing to the nursing team at Ask the Expert.

We can understand your concern but would like to reassure you that most head lumps are not normally a cause to be worried about.

Most head lumps that people get are usually as a result of skin infection or a blocked hair follicle.

We would suggest that you talk to your parents and ask them to take you to your GP to get this lump looked at.

It is quite possible that if there is an infection or blocked hair follicle causing this lump that this can be treated with antibiotics or lotions.

In the mean time we would suggest that you:

  • Take care when you wash your hair- make sure you wash the shampoo out thoroughly.
  • Try not to scratch or knock the lump when brushing your hair.
  • If possible do not use hair products such as gel and hairspray as this could irritate the skin.
  • If you have log hair try not to tie up your hair in tight pony tails as this may cause discomfort.

Again please try not to worry but please ask your parents to take you to the doctor to get this checked as soon as possible.

We hope this helps,

Wishing you all the best.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses