Spanish pork with olives
Try this casserole, packed with Mediterranean flavour. Choose low fat pork and compliment with olives. Olives are a good source of vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant that can boost the immune system and help keep you healthy during the cold months.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 10 mins
Total time: 2 hrs 20 mins
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 800g pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Thyme sprigs
- 400g chopped tomatoes, tinned
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 275ml red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g mixed olives
- 450g new potatoes
- Seasoning to taste
- Start by preheating the oven to 140C.
- Heat the oil in a deep casserole dish over a high heat
- Add the pork pieces and brown them on all sides. Remove them from the pan and onto a plate when they are browned – you may have to do this in smaller batches.
- Add the sliced onions and red pepper and allow to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
- Return the browned meat to the casserole dish and add the thyme, tomatoes, tomato puree, red wine, olives and bay leaf. Bring everything up to a gentle simmer, season, then put the lid on and transfer the casserole to the oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- After that, add the potatoes, cover the pan again and cook for a further 45 minutes.
For more delicious and health recipes from our Proactive Health team, please visit our Diet & Nutrition centre.