How do I find a reputable nutritionist?

Hi, how do I find a reputable nutritionist? Should they be registered with any professional bodies?

I'm only 40 and have been in poor health for the last 12 months - bowel issues, anaemia, elevated hormones and now with low ferritin levels so constantly drained, tired, emotional and low concentration and productivity.

Really hoping a nutritionist could help, what are your thoughts or should I push my GP for further tests?

29 July 2014

In answer to your first question, you would be looking for a nutritionist registered with the AfN. AfN governs the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists (UKVRN) to distinguish nutrition practitioners who meet rigorously applied training, competence and professional practice criteria.  

Its purpose is to protect the public and assure the credibility of nutrition as a responsible profession. There are three categories of UKVRN registrant:

  • Registered Nutritionist (RNutr) with nutrition specialising in public health, nutrition science, sport & exercise, food or animal nutrition
  • Associate Nutritionist (ANutr)
  • Fellow of AfN (FAfN)

Nutritionist consultation may be helpful in regards to what you are eating and if your diet is the issue, be careful as some nutritionists do recommend multiple supplements which can be expensive.

I do suggest you keep pushing your GP for a diagnosis. Anaemia and low ferritin levels can be associated with numerous conditions. I do suggest you discuss possible coeliacs with your GP (gluten intolerance). And also possible endometriosis which can tie in the bowel and hormonal symptoms as well as anaemia, tiredness, emotional issues and feeling drained.

Hopefully this will help you.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Diet tips for a healthy bowel and digestive system

Eating for good health

Unusual foods that pack a health punch

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.