Butternut squash and bacon risotto
When you're pressed for time, it can be easy to reach into the freezer for the ready meals that are packed with added fat, salt, sugar and calories. Why not try this one pot, quick and easy recipe instead? We’ve included lots of fresh ingredients like butternut squash which is rich in the antioxidant beta-carotene, to help keep your heart and skin healthy.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 4 rashers lean bacon (choose reduced salt and remove the rind)
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large butternut squash (peeled)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- 350g risotto rice (look for arborio rice)
- 1L vegetable stock (reduced salt)
- Start by peeling the butternut squash, remove the seeds and cutting it into small cubes
- Next heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Dice the bacon and add to the pan, cooking for 2 minutes. Then add the sliced onion and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, thyme and garlic, and cook for another minute or so until everything is coated and glossy.
- Then add the rice to the saucepan, stir until coated
- Then add one-third of the stock. Continue to stir until it has been absorbed, then add the next third, repeat, stirring until absorbed, and then add the remaining third.
- Simmer until the rice is softened.
For more delicious and health recipes from our Proactive Health team, please visit our Diet & Nutrition centre.