I have a sharp stabbing pain in my temple.

I have been getting a sharp stabbing pain in the right side of my head just above the temple it only last about 30 seconds then goes away. Any ideas?

30 May 2013

I wonder if you may be suffering from one of the rarer forms of headaches such as cluster headache, trigeminal neuralgia or SUNCT (short lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection). These type of headaches can sometimes be associated with other symptoms such as a watery or red eye on the side of the pain and they are unusual. If you have not seen your doctor already then you should make an appointment. You need to have some simple tests such as blood pressure and routine bloods along with a neurological examination. A referral to a neurologist is warranted if your GP is still unsure of the diagnosis.

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.