Counselling for children

How do I make the first steps to getting some counseling for my 10yr old son? He lives with my wife and I full time and has done since he was 3. He still sees his mum every 2 weeks, but I fear the behavioral problems that we are now seeing are attributed to the split. He is becoming aggressive towards towards my wife (his step mum). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

12 December 2016

We are sorry to hear that your child is experiencing some emotional and psychological difficulties, which are possibly related to his interactions with others.

Childhood can be a difficult time to learn how to understand our thoughts and feelings in relation to others. In this instance we would suggest that you speak to the child’s school about counselling services available within the school and also within the local area that you live.

It might be worth looking a privately funded counselling for your child. In this instance we would suggest that you contact the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy on the internet, together with a organistation called These organisations will be able to meet your parental needs and also the needs of your child.

We hope that this information has helped.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.