I have a red itchy rash on my arms.

I have a red itchy rash on both forearms, I have tried all different anti itch creams to no avail can you recommend anything?

8 March 2015

There are a variety of topical agents which can be purchased from your local chemist.

The product which is most suited to you will very much depend on the cause of the rash.

Creams such as Eurax are known to target itching alone for up to an 8 hour period.

Alternatively topical steroids such as Hydrocortisone cream can be used for up to 7 days, these may cater to reduce inflammation causing the redness, however not recommended if there is any broken / weeping skin lesions present.

Lastly, if the cause of your rash is of allergic origin, the Pharmacist may recommend a topical antihistamine cream.

Your pharmacist will ask you a few questions to determine the nature and cause of your rash and will recommend a medicinal product that may be suitable, or they may suggest you speak to your GP for further assessment.

I hope this is of some guidance to you.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

'My husband has developed a skin rash'

Know your allergy triggers


Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.