Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Ruth asked...

My eye keeps flickering.

I am 61 years of age and my eye keeps flickering. Is this something I should see the doctor about?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Most cases of isolated eye flickering (otherwise known as blepharospasm), lasts for short periods only and does not require further tests or treatment. It may be caused by tiredness or stress, but could also be caused by other eye conditions such as infection, injury or glaucoma.

If the spasm continues, becoming  chronic and distressing, further treatment may be required.  If the spasm of the eye is associated with spasms of other parts of the face/body or a drooping eyelid, you should see your doctor for further assessment.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter