Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Vic asked...

Partial androgen insensitivity syndrome

I believe I have PAIS (Partial androgen insensitivity syndrome) the medical profession have shunned me until now. I have now been referred to an endocrinologist. Can they do anything for me at age 61?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Partial androgen insensitivity syndrome (PAIS) where testosterone still has some effect on sexual development is usually noticed at birth, and treatment usually involves counselling, hormone therapy and surgery as needed, long term counselling may also be recommended. The endocrinology referral may be to confirm diagnosis or look at other possible hormone issues and look at what else they can do to assist you. Treatment is usually started during puberty so we can only speculate that the consultant may be looking for other causes. 

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter