Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Ellie asked...

Lump on my head

I have a lump on my head next to my right ear it is small but quite hard you can't see it but when you go to touch you can feel the lump. It hurts!

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Dear Ellie,

You can develop small lumps and bumps anywhere on the skin. This may be a cyst or a ganglion. As this is painful to touch this can be indicative of infection. So I would suggest you see your GP to assess this, you may only need an antibiotic to treat this, but if the lump grows and becomes more painful surgical draining may be needed. Hopefully this will help you,



Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter