Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Louisa asked...

I am concerned about my fertility.

Tags: Pregnancy

I am concerned about my fertility. I came off the pill 7 months ago and have been experiencing spotting from day 24-28 until my period starts. I have had a recent smear, so I know it isn't that. We have been tying for a baby with no success. I wondered if this spotting is related to this?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

It can sometimes take a while for certain types of contraception to stop working which would then affect your fertility, but generally you need to have been trying to get pregnant for a year before further investigations are considered.

Unfortunately I do not have enough information regarding the vaginal spotting you are having to suggest what may be the cause or whether it might be having an affect on you getting pregnant, this would need to be discussed with your GP.

I wish you and your partner all the best.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

'We want to start trying for a baby'

Natural family planninig

Shaping up for pregnancy

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter