This is a fun dish for children so named because the fishes' heads are left outside the pastry, gazing upwards...to the stars! It also contains ingredients that can help to support your child’s bone health.
Ingredients (Serves 6-8 children)
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 150 ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, plus the zest
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 pilchards, filleted with heads left on
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1 rasher lean bacon, chopped
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 225g puff or shortcrust pastry
Preheat the oven to 220°C/ Gas 7. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk and leave to swell a little. Add the parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest and onion, and mix well.
Divide this stuffing between the fish, spreading it over the flat fillets. Fold them over, then put them into a round ovenproof dish, tails downwards and with the heads on the edge.
Put the chopped eggs, bacon, seasoning and stock all around and in between the fish.
Roll out the pastry to fit the dish. Press on, leaving the fish heads exposed on the rim.
Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven to 190°C /Gas 5 and cook for a further 25 minutes.