Spicy baked eggs
This dish makes a perfect one pot breakfast or brunch recipe. Eggs are a great source of protein. By adding dark leafy greens, such as kale, this meal is packed with magnesium, a nutrient that contributes to normal nerve and muscle function.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 3 kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml tomato passata (low salt)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- knob of butter
- 8 free-range eggs
- To make the salsa – place the kale, onion, peppers, chilli, courgette, garlic and passata into a bowl. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a medium lidded frying pan over a medium heat and add the salsa.
- Stir to warm through, then make 8 holes dotted around the salsa.
- Place a little butter into each hole you’ve cleared, then break the eggs into the 8 holes.
- Place the lid onto the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes. The dish is ready when the eggs are cooked into the salsa and the whites are firm.
For more delicious and healthy recipes from our AXA Proactive Health team, please visit our Diet & Nutrition centre.