Penne with lettuce, peas and ham
The penne provides plenty of starchy carbohydrate needed for exercise, while the peas and lettuce are good sources of vitamin C, folate and potassium, which is needed to regulate fluid balance. The ham provides zinc needed for the repair of muscle.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 fat clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 gem heart lettuces, trimmed and sliced
- 400g dried penne
- 190g pack shelled peas
- 4 tbsp half-fat creme fraiche
- 4 slices of lean ham, shredded
- Large handful of basil, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic and the sliced lettuce to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
At the same time, cook the penne following the pack instructions, adding the peas for the last 2 minutes of the cooking time.
Drain the pasta and peas, then return them to the pan with the creme fraiche, ham, basil and lettuce mixture. Season well and stir everything together.
To serve, sprinkle grated parmesan over each bowl.