Herby rice salad
Wholegrain rice provides slow-acting carbohydrate, which means energy is released slowly and steadily into the bloodstream once you have eaten it. This makes it the perfect pre-exercise meal to have a few hours before you hit the gym. The green vegetables and herbs are full of vitamins that help convert food into energy. They will also boost your immune system and improve your sense of well-being, making your exercise session less of an ordeal and much more enjoyable.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 150g wholegrain rice
- 100g green beans, trimmed
- 4 spears of Tenderstem broccoli
- 50g spinach leaves, washed and stalks removed
- 50g frozen peas
- Half a cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 10 torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaved parsley
- 1 avocado, stone removed, flech chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Drizzle of oilive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Boil the rice in a large pan of water according to the packet instructions. Drain and wash through with lots of running cold water to cool it down quickly. Steam or boil the green beans, broccoli, spinach and peas for just for a couple of minutes until they're slightly cooked but still crunchy. Run under cold water and set aside.
Place the cucumber, tomatoes, avocado and herbs in a large serving bowl. Cut the green beans in half and the broccoli into small bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl, along with the rice. Squeeze over the lime juice, drizzle over the oil, season with pepper and toss together.