Feta cheese and butternut squash salad
Butternut squash is a good source of carbohydrate needed after a workout
or training session and a tasty alternative to rice, pasta or potatoes.
Feta cheese is lower in fat than most other hard cheeses and provides
plenty of protein, as well as zinc to help improve muscle strength.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Half a butternut squash
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Half a cucumber, chopped into small chunks
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 12 large green olives, halved
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 gem lettuces, sliced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
Remove the skin and seeds from the squash, cut the flesh into medium
bite–sized pieces, and place on a non–stick baking tray, drizzled with a
little olive oil.
Place in the oven and bake for about 30–40 minutes, until golden on the outside and soft in the middle.
In the meantime, place the herbs, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, crumbled feta and salad leaves into a large bowl.
Once the butternut squash has cooled slightly, add it to the bowl.
Finally, mix the lemon juice, oil and pepper together, and drizzle over