Chicken with tabbouleh
If you exercise regularly, it's likely that you rely on a lot of rice and pasta as the base for main meals.
While these are fine, it's good to try something different, such as the bulgar wheat in this tabbouleh dish. It is a wholegrain so has the benefits of extra nutrients, fibre and antioxidants, yet it is just as good a source of carbohydrate as refined rice or pasta to help replenish energy stores after a hard workout.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Grated peel and juice from 2 lemons
- 100g black olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g bulgur wheat
- Handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- Half a cucumber, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
Rub a little oil over each chicken breast, place in an ovenproof dish, smear over the crushed garlic, add the lemon peel and olives, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
Mix the bulgar wheat with 275ml of boiling water and allow to stand for 15 minutes until fully absorbed.
Then add all the other ingredients, including the remaining oil and lemon juice. Fluff with a fork and place in the fridge until ready to serve with the chicken.