Asparagus and spinach soup topped with chive crème fraiche
Asparagus is a rich source of the B vitamin folate, needed for healthy blood: an average portion (100g) provides over three-quarters of our recommended daily intake. Asparagus also provides good amounts of the antioxidants vitamin C and beta-carotene, as well as a little vitamin E - all of which are needed for healthy skin and a healthy heart. Asparagus also has a mild diuretic effect, which can help with fluid retention and swollen ankles. And did you know that some people also believe that asparagus is an aphrodisiac? Try this recipe and see for yourself!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Ingredients (Serves )
- apple12 stems of asparagus stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 50g of unsalted butter
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 800ml of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of freshly chopped chives
- 100g of spinach
1. Prepare the asparagus by removing the hard stems (keep four of the asparagus heads for garnishing the soup) then finely chop.
2. Place a saucepan on the heat, add a little olive oil and the butter, then add the diced onion and garlic sweat for 5 minutes on a low heat.
3. Now add the chopped asparagus and continue to sweat for another couple of minutes, add the vegetable stock bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add your spinach to the soup and simmer for 2 minutes then remove from the heat and put into a blender and blitz in batches.
4. The spinach always goes in last thing to make sure it retains that lovely green colour. Once the soups blended put through a sieve to remove any lumps, mix your crème fraiche with the chopped chives and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
5. To serve pour your hot soup into the bowl, place a spoonful of the chive crème fraiche on top of the soup and the asparagus head on top of the crème fraiche.