Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Miranda asked...

I keep getting a pain in my right hand.

Tags: Exercise

I keep getting a pain in my right hand - usually if I have been doing some gardening, or carrying heavy bags. It can be very painful - but then it will suddenly disappear. I'm not sure whether I ought to go to see my doctor. Be interested in your view as to what this might be - and whether I should get it checked out.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Most aches and pains brought on by heavy lifting or repetitive work will usually settle without the need for any treatment. However if the pain is always located in the same place, is becoming more frequent or is associated with any lumps or bumps then it should be examined by a doctor. I cannot think of anything specific that it could be based on what you have described here, but examination of the hand may help find a diagnosis.

You may also be interested in...

General self-help tips for pain

Interactive body map

Boost your bone power!


Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter