Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Mark asked...

Tags: arthritis , bones , injury , joint

I have an old knee problem (removed cartlidge 30 years ago) and my knee sometimes 'buckles' for no reason or feels like it may drop me to the floor. Should I have an arthroscopy to clean it out?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

The first thing to do when the knee starts to buckle (or give way), is to find the cause. There are a few different conditions that can make the knee unstable such as ligament damage, arthritis and cartilage problems. Your doctor will examine you and may need to refer you to a specialist. Sometimes an X-ray or MRI scan can diagnose the problem without the need for an operation or arthroscopy. You may also need to see a physiotherapist to show you how to strengthen the knee.

You may also be interested in...

General self help tips for pain

Interactive body map

Boost your bone power!

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter