Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anna M asked...

My GP has diagnosed me with frozen shoulder.

My GP has diagnosed frozen shoulder which is gradually getting worse over the last year. The physio has tried some taping. Now I have pain in my upper arm, forearm and sometimes hand. Is there anything else I can do?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

A frozen shoulder tends to affect those over the age of 40 and can come on after an injury but often occurs for no particular reason. It is caused by progressive tightness of the shoulder joint capsule, resulting in increasing pain and stiffness over three to 12 months. Most often this condition follows its own course but it is important to try to encourage shoulder movement by following gentle mobilisation exercises indicated by your physiotherapist. Your doctor may be able to give your shoulder a joint cortisone injection to help reduce pain.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter