Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Hammam asked...

I have had knee pain and stiffness.

I have had knee pain and stiffness so had an MRI on the knee, the report is Osteoarthritic changes of the right knee joint, Medial tibial condylar bone marrow edema/contusion, Degenerative tear along the posterior horn of the medial meniscus, Minimal Joint effusion. Would surgery or medication help?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

I would certainly recommend that you see an orthopaedic surgeon to discuss these results. Medication would normally be the first line of treatment to see if the pain settles before surgery is undertaken. Unfortunately there are no simple operations to help osteoarthritis, but a tear of the meniscus may be able to be repaired by a surgeon. Severe osteoarthritis can be treated surgically by having a joint replacement, but this is obviously reserved as a last resort, when medication and physiotherapy have failed to help. Medications that can help the pain and inflammation in this situation are called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). You need to check with your doctor first, if it is safe for you to take them.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter