Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon asked...

I have been having problems with my Achilles

Tags: Exercise , Running

I have been a runner for over 25 years and had rarely any problems. However, the last year in particular, I have had problems with my Achilles area of my lower calf.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

What a shame you have experienced an injury after being so healthy for so many years. Runners can often suffer from sprains or inflammation of the tendons (tendonitis). In your case it might be the Achilles tendon that has been affected. You should rest your leg from running until you have seen a physiotherapist. A physiotherapist can advise you on the best exercises to help heal the pain, allow you to start running again and also help prevent further injuries in the future.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter