Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Julie asked...

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis

Tags: Diet

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both of my knees. They are quite bad but as I am not yet 50 Im not very keen on having replacements yet.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Firstly, losing weight will certainly help but as you are in too much pain to exercise, the only way to do this is by diet and weight loss tablets. Speak to your doctor about seeing a dietician to help adjust your diet and if you qualify for weight loss tablets. Weight Watchers or similar, is also a really good way to help you keep on track. Secondly, exercises that strengthen the muscles around the knees will help support them and therefore reduce pain. A physiotherapist is the best specialist to help advice you on what exercises are suitable for your level of ability. Thirdly, painkillers are sometimes needed when the pain gets too much for you to cope. Again, your doctor can tell you which ones are safest for you to take. Really hope that helps.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter