Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Alan Macleod asked...

Tags: injury , running

I have a recurring ankle/calf injury from running and can't seem to shake it, any advice?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

It is not uncommon for runners to experience injuries of the ankle and calf. You could be suffering from something like Achilles tendonitis. Continuing to run on it could be making it worse. I suggest you see a physiotherapist, who can do an assessment of the problem and may need to watch you running on a treadmill. Often a physiotherapist will find the underlying problem and help provide a solution.  You will need to follow an exercise programme at home to correct the problem and strengthen the correct muscles. You may need to rest from running and then build back up gradually to prevent recurrence.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter