Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Jane asked...

I had a THR in June 2010.

I have been told I need this. I had a THR in June 2010. I am a reasonably fit 55 years old woman working in the middle east. I have been advised to fly to UK for this surgery, but how do I choose where to go and how do I know the surgeon is experienced enough to do this operation, with a good chance of proper recovery? How long after surgery can I fly back? How long after surgery till I can work again?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

I presume you are needing a second total hip replacement, or maybe there a problem with your original hip replacement? Either way, you will need  to arrange an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in hip surgery and replacements. You can choose a private hospital by looking on the internet, and the hospital will be able to give you a list of surgeons suitable. Always choose a private surgeon that also works as an NHS consultant. The surgeons secretary should be able to arrange a consultation over the phone to explain the expected recovery process and travel arrangements depending on the specific surgery that you need.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter