Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Zak Harris asked...

Fractured both my calcaneus bones and still getting pain?

I fractured both my calcaneus bones badly about 7 years back and I am still getting pain.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Your calcaneus, or heel bone, is fundamental to the structure of your foot. It provides a bridge between your anklebone and the rest of your foot; it take much of the pressure of every step; and the strong connective tissue (the plantar fascia) that supports the sole of your foot runs from your calcaneus to the front of your foot along the sole. Walking on uneven ground is often a problem from then on, and pain can be an issue even if the anatomy of your foot is perfectly restored after a fracture. In the first instance, talk to your doctor about a referral to a podiatrist, who can advise on insoles or shoe adaptations which may improve your symptoms. Physiotherapy may also help significantly.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter