Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Pete asked...

I have excruciating pain around my foot.

After cycling the other day I have found that I now have excruciating pain around the upper outside of the arch of my left foot. I am in constant pain and this increases with movement or when trying to put weight on it. The pain has got increasingly worse after two days. Would it be necessary to seek medical help?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

As you did not have a specific injury to the foot the most likely reason for the pain is some irritation or inflammation. This can occur after repeated use of any part of the body and maybe the cycling triggered it. Often pain on the bottom of the foot or arch is called plantar fasciitis. It should settle with some rest or by taking some anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen. If it doesn't then of course you should get it examined by your doctor to get a solid diagnosis.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter