Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Stuart Parry asked...

I have been having a range of chest pains for over 2 years now.

Tags: heart , injury

Hi I have been having a range of chest pains for over 2 years now but still can't get an answer as to what it is. They range from sharp stabbing pains to a dull ache, that is sometimes across both sides of chest but mainly the left side.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The answer

It is reassuring that you have had investigation to exclude potential heart problems as a reason for your chest pain.  It sounds like your doctors have been able to exclude your heart as a likely source of the pain, but it may also be useful to have a chest X-ray or CT scan to rule out respiratory disease, although I would have expected breathing problems and not chest wall pain to have been the main feature if that were the case. It would be worthwhile seeking an assessment from a physiotherapist or sports injury medical specialist for further detailed examination and to establish a rehabilitation regime.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter