Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Joe asked...

I've noticed a lot of vein like tubes above my left testicle

This has been bothering me for weeks... I've noticed a lot of vein like tubes above my left testicle and they seem to be swollen.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The answer

I am sorry to hear that you have been worrying so much, and are unable to tell your doctor about your testicle concerns. It is very possible that you do have a varicocele. A varicocele is a collection of enlarged veins in the scrotum next to and above one (or both) of the testicles. They are very common and affect up to 1 in 7 men, usually developing between the ages of 15 and 25. The vast majority of cases they are harmless and do not require any further tests or treatment. However, it would be advisable to see your doctor for an examination to confirm the diagnosis and exclude cancer. It is important that you can confide in your doctor. If it is a varicocele and it does not cause any problems such as pain, then you do not need any further treatment.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter