Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Louise asked...

I have an over active bladder.

I have an over active bladder. Although I know this to be common in older ladies, I am a 24 year old woman and have had no pregnancies.

As far as my GP is aware, there is no other treatment than to take tablets everyday. Although the pills I take are working, I am aware that to stop taking these tablets will make my symptoms return, possibly worse.

At my age, having to take medication for the rest of my life is a very long time. I would like to ask your urology/gynaecology specialists whether if there is another, more permanent treatment available?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Over active bladder function can indeed be annoying and sometimes embarrassing to live with. It can be manifested in various forms including urinary incontinence, frequency of micturition, urge incontinence and nocturia (the need to pass urine during the night).

Some people successfully manage their symptoms with expert bladder behavioural therapy or with medication, as you have tried yourself. Reducing your intake of bladder irritants such as caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods can also be helpful. However, should none of these treatments prove effective, Neuromodulation Therapy is sometimes used. This therapy safely delivers harmless electrical impulses to alter how the nerves of the bladder work. Some experts also consider Botox injections into the muscles of the bladder to prevent the muscles contracting too often, an effective treatment for this condition.

If you feel you would like to explore any of these treatments further, do speak to your GP about being referred to a Urologist. If you have medical insurance that covers specialist consultation, please check with your Personal Advisory team before agreeing any private referral.

I hope this answers your question and wish you well with future treatments of your condition.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

'I need to urinate frequently'

Bladder infection

Health MOTs

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter