Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon asked...

My wife recently went into hospital with pneumonia.

Tags: cancer

My wife recently went into hospital with pneumonia - whilst there she suffered a pericardial effusion and cytology from the fluid showed adenocarcinoma likely lung primary.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The answer

The best treatment for cancer is given by an oncologist, who is an expert in this field. The treatments offered are different depending on the extent and stage of the disease. The CT scan helps determine this. The CT scan needs to be carefully examined by a radiologist first, who is a doctor specialising in looking at and interpreting scans - only then can the oncologist decide what the best available treatment is.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter