Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Ruth asked...

Tags: eyes , glaucoma , sleep

I am 61 years of age and my eye keeps flickering. Is this something I should see the doctor about?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

Most cases of isolated eye flickering (otherwise known as blepharospasm), lasts for short periods only and does not require further tests or treatment. It may be caused by tiredness or stress, but could also be caused by other eye conditions such as infection, injury or glaucoma.

If the spasm continues, becoming  chronic and distressing, further treatment may be required.  If the spasm of the eye is associated with spasms of other parts of the face/body or a drooping eyelid, you should see your doctor for further assessment.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter